A dozen more ways we are working to keep you safe:
At Soma Massage Therapy, we have always believed that our work falls more in line with the healthcare industry (chiropractors, physical therapists, etc) than in the service industry (hair, nails, tanning, etc). That’s why we’ve never accepted tips and why we have always taken your health and our hygiene seriously.
Additionally, Soma Massage Therapy is not listed as a “massage parlor” or even as a spa — instead we are classified more accurately as “medical massage”. Massage therapy is not simply a luxury but is a part of the healthcare regimen for many of our clients recovering from injuries, surgeries, and chronic conditions, and we want to be here to bring them the care they need.
It’s also pretty much impossible to keep 6 feet away from our clients and still provide a beneficial massage — but standing 6 feet away is only one way to minimize transmission of germs.
We have always taken great care to sanitize our facility between sessions, but we also understand that in these unprecedented times, we need to do even more. Our hope is that these many small changes will add up to a big difference in keeping you safe and protected, while still providing a valuable healing modality for those who are in need.
In no particular order, here are 10 things we are adopting immediately here at Soma Massage Therapy:
- All clients and therapists will be required to wear masks that cover both the mouth and the nose. Please provide your own mask when you arrive to your appointment. If you don’t have a mask or forget it at home, we will have some masks here for purchase. (If you find yourself feeling uncomfortable with your mask on while laying face down, we do have other options which we are happy to discuss with you at your appointment.) More information about how effective cloth coverings are, read this CDC resource.
- To ensure a cleaner air flow, we have installed a medical-grade HEPA filter in our HVAC unit at our Malone St. location. This device eliminates over 99.9% of all impurities from the air, and brings in all new air every 10-15 minutes max. (Honestly, I didn’t have $1000 to pay for this device after being closed for so long — but I also never want to be the type of business owner that feels that a thousand bucks is more important than someone’s health. So I got it, and it works, and I’m proud of this decision because I know it will make a difference.) #priorities
- All therapists will now also wear a fresh apron for every new client. We have always washed our hands and arms before and after every appointment, but we aren’t able to change our clothes between sessions. For the safety of our clients, we will now wear a clean apron for every session.
- Every session will now have a fresh blanket. We have always changed our sheets between every client, but in the past would only change the blankets at the end of the day. Going forward, every client will have a new blanket as well.
- We request that clients wait in their vehicles until just a few moments before their session, in order to minimize the number of people in our facility at one time. If you are a new client, however, we still request that you arrive 10 minutes before your start time in order to fill out the required paperwork. We will have a freshly sanitized pen and clipboard just for you! You can also print up your paperwork and have it pre-filled by downloading the forms on our appointment page.
- We have always operated on a by-appointment-only basis and will continue this practice. Absolutely no walk in appointments will be allowed. To book a massage, please visit our appointment page here.
- Additionally, we are a small facility. Our main office has just 4 massage rooms. That means that the most we ever have at our facility is 9 people — 4 therapists, 4 clients, and one office assistant.
- All clients will have their temperature taken when they arrive. If you feel feverish or have a fever of over 100 degrees, you will be sent home immediately and can reschedule your next appointment for at least 14 days later.
- We have always done a good job calling in sick when we are unwell — and though it has felt like an inconvenience in the past to some of our clients — we hope you will understand how important this is now more than ever. If your therapist has any COVID-like symptoms, they will not be allowed to come to work for 14 days and any appointments during that timeframe will need to be rescheduled.
- If you or anyone in your home has COVID-like symptoms, we require that you call us immediately to reschedule your appointment. The soonest you will be allowed to return to Soma will be 14 days later. Symptoms of COVID include (but are not limited to):
- Dry Cough
- Difficulty Breathing
- Clients will be required to sign this waiver prior to every appointment (even if you’ve signed it in the past!) that states that you do not exhibit symptoms of COVID and that you understand the risks involved in receiving a massage.
- Every session is now just a little bit longer, but at no extra cost! In the past, we booked a 15 minute buffer on top of every appointment, in order to allow a slow and easy transition on and off the table. That time has now been increased to 30 minutes between sessions. This will allow our therapists more time to thoroughly sanitize the massage room, and will minimize the number of clients waiting in our building at the same time.
We understand that some of these measures may feel inconvenient or uncomfortable for some of our clients, but we hope that with proper precautions, these changes will be temporary. Fortunately, this pandemic will not be with us forever — but until we have a better grasp on it, we will need to make a few compromises and accommodations to keep everyone as safe as possible.
Thank you for your cooperation. Feel free to contact us directly with any questions or concerns you may have! 940-241-4490 or email@example.com