Protecting your Health
People before profits
At Soma Massage Therapy, we have always believed that our work falls more in line with the healthcare industry (chiropractors, physical therapists, etc) than in the service industry (hair, nails, tanning, etc). That's why we've never accepted tips and why we have always taken your health and our hygiene seriously.
Additionally, Soma Massage Therapy is not listed as a "massage parlor" or even as a spa -- instead we are classified more accurately as "medical massage". Massage therapy is not simply a luxury but is a part of the healthcare regimen for many of our clients recovering from injuries, surgeries, and chronic conditions, and we want to be here to bring them the care they need.
Bottom line: we are healthcare workers, and understand how science works.
We have always taken great care to sanitize our facility between sessions, and have consistently adhered to CDC guidelines when it comes to everyone’s health and safety. We are proud that we required masks more than 6 weeks before they were mandated here in Texas. And when Gov. Abbott rescinded that mask mandate on March 2, 2021, we stayed the course (again, because the CDC recommended it).
As we understand the science of the coronavirus more and more, and with the complication of variants arising, our mask policy has evolved based on what the CDC recommends. We have always met or exceeded CDC guidelines and will continue to do so. That's just good science and responsible community stewardship. Full stop.
We reopened on May 20, 2020 and to date, we have not had a single case of covid transmitted among our clients or staff. We are incredibly proud of this fact, and know that we can continue to be successful in fighting covid while also providing our clients and therapists a safe environment in which to be seen.
Here’s our current list of safety protocols. Thank you for doing your part to keep us all safe!.
- Masks are now optional for all clients and staff. This is based off of the most recent CDC guidelines that relax many mask recommendations for most of the country. You may wear a mask if you choose, and you may ALWAYS request that we wear a mask when working with you as well. Your comfort and safety are our priorities!
- To ensure a cleaner air flow, we have installed a medical-grade HEPA filter in our HVAC unit at our new studio on Elm St. (We previously had this same device installed at our old studio on Malone Street. We decided to leave that device in place for the new tenants, because protecting their health is important to us, too.) This device emits low levels of ozone and hydrogen peroxide, to literally scrub and neutralize viruses and other impurities in the air.
- Every client gets a whole new set of sheets and blankets. (Not much new here, but wanted to say it out loud in case you were wondering.)
- We have always operated on a by-appointment-only basis and will continue this practice. Absolutely no walk in appointments will be allowed. To book a massage, please visit our appointment page here.
- Additionally, we are a small facility. Kroger sees more people in an hour than we would have in our facility in an entire week. Small = good 🙂
- We have always done a good job calling in sick when we are unwell -- and though it has felt like an inconvenience in the past to some of our clients -- we hope you will understand how important this is now more than ever. If your therapist is sick, they will not be allowed to work until they are fully well and any appointments during that timeframe will need to be rescheduled.
- If your therapist has had close contact with someone diagnosed with Covid, they will be removed from the schedule until they can provide a negative Covid test. We understand that it's disappointing to have to reschedule your appointment if your therapist needs to get tested, but your health will always be our highest priority!
- If you or anyone in your home has COVID-like symptoms, we request that you call us immediately to reschedule your appointment.
- We allow plenty of time between sessions to fully sanitize the room and thoroughly wash our hands and forearms. We have always done this and will continue to do so because people always come before profits!