People before profits:
At Soma Massage Therapy, we have always believed that our work should be classified as healthcare, similar to chiropractors, physical therapists, etc. That’s why we’ve never accepted tips and why we have always taken your health and our hygiene seriously.
Additionally, Soma Massage Therapy is not listed as a “massage parlor” or even as a spa — instead we are classified more accurately as “medical massage”. Massage therapy is not simply a luxury but is a part of the healthcare regimen for many of our clients recovering from injuries, surgeries, and chronic conditions, and we want to be here to bring them the care they need.
Bottom line: we are healthcare workers, and understand how science works.
We have always taken great care to sanitize our facility between sessions, and have consistently adhered to CDC guidelines when it comes to everyone’s health and safety. We are proud that we required masks more than 6 weeks before they were mandated here in Texas. And when Gov. Abbott rescinded that mask mandate on March 2, 2021, we stayed the course (again, because the CDC recommended it).
With the newest CDC guidelines stating that vaccinated people can remove their masks in most situations, we wanted to update our requirements here at Soma as well.
We reopened on May 20, 2020 and to date, we have not had a single case of covid transmitted among our clients or staff. We are incredibly proud of this fact, and know that we can continue to be successful in fighting covid while also providing our clients and therapists a safe environment in which to be seen.
Here’s our current list of safety protocols. Thank you for doing your part to keep us all safe!.
- All unvaccinated clients and therapists will be required to wear a well-fitting mask that covers both the mouth and nose. Please provide your own mask when you arrive to your appointment. If you don’t have a mask or forget it at home, we can provide you with one. If you find yourself feeling uncomfortable with your mask on while laying face down, we have a unique option for you. Watch this!
- Clients who are fully vaccinated have the option of removing their mask when in session.
- Regardless of a person’s vaccination status, everyone will be required to wear a mask in all common areas (lobby, hallway, etc).
- To ensure a cleaner air flow, we have installed a medical-grade HEPA filter in our HVAC unit at our new studio on Elm St. (We previously had this same device installed at our old studio on Malone Street. We decided to leave that device in place for the new tenants, because protecting their health is important to us, too.) This device emits low levels of ozone and hydrogen peroxide, to literally scrub and neutralize viruses and other impurities in the air.
- Every client gets a whole new set of sheets and blankets. (Not much new here, but wanted to say it out loud in case you were wondering.)
- We have always operated on a by-appointment-only basis and will continue this practice. Absolutely no walk in appointments will be allowed. To book a massage, please visit our appointment page here.
- Additionally, we are a small facility. Kroger sees more people in an hour than we would have in our facility in an entire week. Small = good 🙂
- Temperature checks for both clients and staff. If you feel feverish or have a fever of over 100 degrees, you will be sent home immediately and can reschedule your next appointment for at least 14 days later.
- We have always done a good job calling in sick when we are unwell — and though it has felt like an inconvenience in the past to some of our clients — we hope you will understand how important this is now more than ever. If your therapist is sick, they will not be allowed to work until they are fully well and any appointments during that timeframe will need to be rescheduled.
- If you or anyone in your home has COVID-like symptoms, we request that you call us immediately to reschedule your appointment.
- Clients will be required to sign this waiver that states that you do not exhibit symptoms of COVID and that you understand the risks involved in receiving a massage. If you are fully vaccinated against Covid-19, you’ll only need to sign this once. If you’re not vaccinated or choose not to disclose your vaccination status, you will need to sign this at every appointment until your status changes.
- We allow plenty of time between sessions to fully sanitize the room and thoroughly wash our hands and forearms. We have always done this and will continue to do so because people always come before profits!
We understand that some of these measures may feel inconvenient or uncomfortable for some of our clients, but we hope that with proper precautions, these changes will be temporary. Fortunately, this pandemic will not be with us forever — but until we have a better grasp on it, we will need to make a few compromises and accommodations to keep everyone as safe as possible.
Thank you for your cooperation. Feel free to contact us directly with any questions or concerns you may have! 940-241-4490 or email@example.com
CDC resource on the effectiveness and safety of wearing masks (yay, science!)